Posts for tag: Pain
At The Smile Shack, we care deeply about your health. And, we care about ours too! So we would like to share with you seven things we would never do to our teeth and gums.
1. Use our teeth to open a bottle cap, tear a piece of fabric, or for any other non-dental use. Teeth have many functions, including biting and chewing food, smiling, aiding in proper speech, and much more. But, be careful! Using them for things other than dental uses can result in injury that can be difficult and expensive to repair!
2. Ignore any kind of dental pain or swelling. When your body is trying to tell you something, it is important to listen! While dental pain or swelling does sometimes temporarily go away, that doesn’t mean the underlying problem has resolved. Treating problems early on is always your best solution.
3. Think that bleeding gums are “normal.” If blood were coming out of the ear (or any other body part) most people would be concerned, but for some reason many people think that bleeding gums are normal. They aren’t! Usually gums that bleed, are sensitive, or swollen means there is an underlying infection which could lead to tooth loss. Remember, coming in for regular checkups means early detection of any gum or tooth problems, which lead to a less expensive outcome in the long run.
4. Eat something and then go to bed without brushing. The flow of saliva decreases during sleep, and yucky morning breath isn’t the only problem it causes! Nighttime is the right time for sugars, bacteria and food debris to wreak havoc on your pearly whites. Always make sure to give your mouth a thorough brushing before beddy-bye.
5. Play any kind of sport without a mouthguard. An estimated 40% of dental injuries occur while playing sports, most of them involving the front teeth. Practically all of these can be prevented by simply wearing a mouthguard. It’s an inexpensive and easy procedure (as compared to the over $500 million spent each year repairing dental sports injuries!)
6. Make health care decisions based solely on insurance coverage. While dental insurance is great for offsetting some of your healthcare costs, your coverage is not always a great barometer for which treatment is right for you. At The Smile Shack, we work with you to maximize your particular coverage, help you make comfortable financial arrangements, as well as provide you with the best treatment available! It is our goal to perform high-quality dentistry for an affordable fee.
7. Go a day without smiling!! Smiling benefits your mood, boosts your immune system, makers you look younger, relieves stress, and is contagious. No wonder we would never go a day without it!!