Posts for tag: Personal Goals
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
It's time to pull out and dust off the annual resolution! ...wait for it! ...wait for it! ...
Exercise and eat heathier! Tah-dah!
Yes, while exercising and eating well are certainly great things to do, as resolutions go, they're pretty predictable and unoriginal. Plus, by February the gyms are empty and the ice cream picked over. So...
We, here at The Smile Shack, proudly present you with ten New Year's resolutions you can easily maintain that are guaranteed to improve the quality of your life.
1. Drink a tall glass of room temperature water when you wake up and before you go to bed. Water is the original "miracle food." No matter your cultural background, food preferences, physical condition, or anything else, your body craves water! And no, soda (regular or diet) does not count!
2. Take Walks. Walking has been known to help people solve problems, come up with new ideas, and have epiphanies that seem to come out of nowhere. But they don’t come out of nowhere. They were there all along. Taking a walk just changes the context from ‘inside’ to ‘nature,’ and nature is going to win almost every time. Plus, it’s healthy!
3. Have a moment of gratitude every day.Just stop what you are doing for two minutes and think about how fortunate you are. It’s great to do this in a beautiful place, but not necessary. And remember, if you live in a modern, developed country, you are indeed fortunate. If you’re not sure what to think of, try three things you are grateful for. Or say to yourself – “I could have been born in a Sudanese refugee camp, but here I am in Ohio.”
4. Think of your most distasteful task each day, and do it first. This is called “Eating The Frog First.” Your day will be so much more relaxing once the most dreaded task is taken care of.
5. Call or send a message to someone you haven’t spoken to in a while. Over the course of the year, you could reignite 365 friendships! And with “Eating The Frog” in mind, send the first message to a person you are having a difficult relationship or grudge match with. Actually, stop reading this and do that one now. It will change your life!
6. Give away or donate one item from your home every day. Don’t stop until you feel you are completely free of clutter. Then start again! By the same token, stop accumulating stuff you don’t need!
7. Compliment or thank someone every day. If you’re not sure where to start, you can send us a quick message to let us know you enjoyed this list! And try not to stop with one. Keep doing it all day long. It’s always fun to compliment someone who is not expecting it.
8. Improve your sleep quality. Sleep is extremely important, and most people don’t get enough restful zzzzzs. Start the relaxation period well ahead of bedtime. Avoid caffeine for six hours and alcohol for four hours before bedtime. Alcohol may zonk you out, but your sleep will be less restful. And, tell your brain what time you need to wake before going to bed to avoid the jarring shock of the alarm.
9. Spend at least fifteen minutes every day reading something that will expand your mind. Generally speaking, this is not the news, celebrity gossip, business journals, or anything else that is promoted by mass media. Maybe start with something you've wondered about how it works, or how it happened, or how it can or could be.
10. FLOSS!! Well, we had to throw at least one dental resolution in the mix! Daily flossing helps keep your gums free of disease and inflammation. Gum disease is not just about tooth loss. It's also been connected with heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. It's a simple thing to do, just takes a minute, and you'll be a better person for having done it.