Improving your smile can be as simple as adding a crown or bridge. Dr. Jeffrey Labishak, your Zanesville, OH cosmetic dentist at The Smile Shack Family Dentistry, explains the uses and benefits of these dental restorations.
What are crowns and bridges?
Crowns are hollow, tooth-shaped restorations made from a variety of durable materials, such as porcelain, porcelain-fused-to-metal, ceramic or resin. They fit snugly over teeth, providing support for weak or damaged teeth. Because crowns cover your teeth on all four sides, they're also an excellent choice if you would like to conceal a cosmetic issue.
Crowns are also used to create bridges, restorations that replace missing teeth. Bridges consist of one or more artificial teeth suspended between two crown.
Who can benefit from crowns and bridges in Zanesville?
Your dentist may recommend a crown or bridge if you have one of these dental issues;
- Cracks: Cracks eventually become breaks. Adding a crown to your tooth prevents it from breaking and also seals it, stopping bacteria from entering through the crack.
- Damaged or Broken Teeth: Crowns offer the ideal way to restore broken or damaged teeth.
- Fragile Teeth: Large fillings, root canal therapy or other procedures are essential to maintaining your oral health, but can weaken teeth. Crowns provide the stability fragile teeth need.
- Short Teeth: Grinding can cause one or more of your teeth to become shorter than the others, which can affect your bite. Crowns restore the height of your teeth and improve your appearance.
- Cosmetic Issues: Crowns are used to hide a variety of cosmetic issues, including discolorations, pits and chips. Do you have tooth that looks a little odd? A crown will help that crooked, twisted or pointed tooth blend in with the rest of your smile.
- A Missing Tooth: A missing tooth isn't just a cosmetic issue. Biting and chewing can be more difficult after tooth loss. A bridge makes eating easier and more enjoyable.
Isn't it about time you improved your smile with crowns and bridges? Call Dr. Labishak, your Zanesville, OH cosmetic dentist at The Smile Shack Family Dentistry, at (740) 454-4112 to schedule an appointment.